Design of a custom standing 4 person arcade cocktail table.
You can not select more than 25 topics Topics must start with a letter or number, can include dashes ('-') and can be up to 35 characters long.
 

2.6 KiB

Arcade Cocktail Table - Final Assembly and Completed System

I brainstormed and drafted a few different table leg / support options to run by my wife and ultimately landed on the design shown on the main page. I selected clear Maple for the legs which is not the same as the wood skin on the plywood (birch if I recall right), however it still matches quite well and brings along the reliable strength and durability that comes with Maple.

Below is an image of the table legs being clamped. Biscuits were also used here to glue the joints together. It's proven to be quite strong and stable.

I mounted small blocks to the inside corners at the bottom of the legs so that I could attach the furniture levelers to the bottom. You can see them to some extent in the finished pictures below.

Next, sanding sealer and clear polyurethane (both water based) were applied to the legs and base plate and it turned out quite well. Throughout all of this I used water based paints and coatings out of necessity. The painting was happening in my finished basement with tarps down because it was winter and the temps were well below the acceptable range on the labels. These water based coatings did not smell as much and in addition it was much easier to clean up brushes etc. in the utility sink with water. Overall I was pleasantly surprised how far along water based products have come.

Below is the finished product. I didn't detail the internal wiring as it was fairly straightforward. Monitor, usb-hub, speakers, etc. were all connected to the laptop, and all were plugged into a power strip mounted on the inside. Lakka was installed on the laptop and it was easy to set up and worked quite well. Many settings were easily tweaked and updated to my satisfaction using the joysticks and buttons.

For the backside of the cabinet I wanted to create ventilation openings to try and keep things cooler within the cabinet (see below). I used perforated metal to allow air circulation while also preventing others from reaching in. I also used perforated metal on the bottom side of the cabinet, and the combination of the two has kept things sufficiently cool without the need for active fans etc. If you look closely you can see three drill holes (one of those half a drill hole) that I originally thought I would need, but in hindsight were not needed. Fortunately they are mostly out of sight.

Return to Main Page